In the previous post on this subject, I asserted that before you have any hope to lead someone else, you must first lead yourself. The most powerful way to do this is with a question or in this case, a series of questions. The following questions are offered as a means for you to lead yourself. Leading yourself requires that you slow down so you can assess and re-calibrate. Shifting courses (even slight shifts) can’t happen when moving 100 miles per hour.
Use these questions to help you lead yourself wisely…
- Lead your heart
- Who and what is my leadership about?
- Where can I show some vulnerability with my team?
- What are the concerns of those I’m leading?
- What commitments have I made that need to be followed through?
- Ground your feet
- How is my physical, emotional, relational health?
- What do I need to do to be equipped to handled all the demands on my time?
- What are my values and life purpose? How will I stay connected to them?
- When will I take some time off to clear my head?
- Think differently
- What trends or recurring themes do I see in the behavior of my team or the challenges we’re facing?
- How will I include the big picture of the organization when making my next important decision?
- What different perspective(s) do I need on the problems I’m now facing?
- How will I stay in the mode of gathering information, remaining curious, and seeking possibilities without diving immediately to problem solving mode?
- See Clearly
- Who can I enroll to help me see my present circumstances for what they REALLY are?
- What purpose, principles and values connect my team together?
- What is my place in the vision for my team/organization? How do each of my team members fit into that vision?
- What is the greatness and strength of each of my team members?
- Listen Deeply
- What’s getting in my way of deeply listening? What will I do about it?
- What preconceived ideas do I need to set aside today so that I can deeply listen?
- Who can I get feedback from on the impression I give when listening?
Stake your claim on the self-leading you will invest in. Share a comment below on your commitment and what you did today to lead yourself.